Child Find in the Black River Falls School District
As a part of its Child Find activities the School District of Black River Falls participates in the following:
- Birth to 3 Transition Planning conferences in conjunction with the Jackson County Birth to 3 Coordinator.
- Community Playgroups provide young children with the opportunity to interact with same-aged peers and to participate in hands-on, age-appropriate learning activities. Playgroups are intended for all children ages birth to five years, living within the School district of Black River Falls. Parents are asked to stay with their children during each session, to complete a developmental inventory and to meet and interact with other parents. Community Playgroups are held in two locations.
- Community Playgroups are held at the Black River Falls Public Library along with Story Hour each month. Playgroups are facilitated by Early Childhood Special Education Teachers, a School Psychologist, a Speech/Language Pathologist, and 4 year old Kindergarten Teacher who are available to answer questions and guide the screening sessions for all children.
- Ho-Chunk Community Playgroups are held two times a year at Sand Pillow Head Start and two times a year at HoChungra Head Start. These events are facilitated in conjunction with the Head Start Staff.
Early Childhood Developmental Screening – A free preschool screening opportunity for children ages 3– 4 ½ who reside within the School District of Black River Falls.
- Assess children’s developmental progress.
- Provide parents with awareness of child growth and development issues.
Your child will be screened in a relaxed and friendly setting. While you fill out a developmental questionnaire, your child will be busy playing with other children. When you complete the questionnaire, an education professional will share the results with parents and address any concerns. The entire screening process is completed within approximately 45 minutes.
Who is eligible to participate?
Children who are between the ages of 3 and 4. Children who will turn 4 before September 1 can register for 4 Year Old Kindergarten during Child Development Days.
How can I register for screening?
Phone reservations for a reserved time slot for your child’s screening can be made by contacting the support services secretary at 715-284-1618 ext 1200. While “walk in” children will be accepted for screening, parents are encouraged to call for a reserved screening appointment as children with reservations will be given a screening priority.
Referrals: The school district accepts and processes referrals of children suspected to have a disability from all persons who have reasonable cause to believe that such a need exists.
Procedures: Prior to making a referral, school staff and/or other concerned persons shall notify the parents, in writing, of their intent to make a referral. The district accepts written referrals. Each referral must include the name of the child, and reasons why the person making the referral believes that the child is a child with a disability. The district documents and dates the receipt of each referral. After written consent is obtained, all children referred shall be evaluated. If the child is found to be a child with a disability, an individualized education program shall be written and a special education placement offered.
For more information about Child Find activities and Early Childhood programming options please contact Ms. Sherry K. Holt, Director of Special Education/Pupil Services at (715) 284-1618, ext. 1201.
Community Playgroups are regularly held in three community locations, the Black River Falls Public Library, HoChungra Head Start and Sandpillow Head Start.
2014-2015 Community Playgroup Schedule:
Library Playgroup Dates – (Fridays from 10:00-11:30am):
- October 17th
- November 21st
- January 16th
- March 20th
- April 17th
- May 15th
Sandpillow Playgroup Dates- (Fridays from 10:30-11:30 with lunch provided):
HoChungra Playgroup Dates- (Fridays from 10:30-11:30 with lunch provided):
DPI Child Find Information
Early Childhood Developmental Screening Flyer