To view all athletic events:
Middle School Hoops Calendar:
2013 MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
Jan. 7 - Jan. 10: Practice 3:30-5:00
Jan 14 - Jan 16: Practice 3:30-5:00 NO PRACTICE 1/15-WRESTLING NEEDS GYM
January 17Game NightIntramurals 3:30-4:30
January 21Game Night Intramurals 3:30-4:30 TRAVEL @ ARCADIA
January 22Practice 3:30-5:00
January 23Practice 3:30-5:00
January 24Game Night Intramurals 3:30-4:30TRAVEL @ WHITEHALL
January 28Practice 3:30-5:00
January 29Game NightIntramurals 3:30-4:30
January 30Practice 3:30-5:00
January 31Practice 3:30-5:00
February 1Game Night NO IntramuralsTRAVEL @ LINCOLN
February 5Game NightIntramurals 3:30-4:30
February 6Practice 3:30-5:00
February 7Game NIght Intramurals 3:30-4:30TRAVEL HOME vs LINCOLN
February 11NO PRACTICE - WRESTLING NEEDS GYM
February 12 Game NIghtIntramurals 3:30-4:40TRAVEL HOME vs ARCADIA
February 13Practice 3:30-5:00
February 14Game Night Intramurals 3:30-4:40
February 18 Practice 3:30-5:00
February 19Game Night Intramurals 3:30-4:30TRAVEL HOME vsNEILLSVILLE
February 20Practice 3:30-5:00
February 21Game NIght Intramurals 3:30-4:40TRAVEL @ GET
February 25 Practice 3:30-5:00
February 26Game NightIntramurals 3:30-4:00TRAVEL @ NEILLSVILLE
February 27Practice 3:30-5:00
February 28Game NIght Intramurals 3:30-4:40TRAVEL HOME vs GET
**Lincoln and GET games 7th grade is at 4:30 and 8th grade at 5:30
**All other travel games 7th grade is at 5:00 and 8th grade at 6:00
If the date of your last physical was before April 1, 2010, you will need to get another one prior to being allowed to participate (practice) in any middle school sport. Forms can be picked up at the middle school office OR by downloading the WIAA physical form. To find the date of your student's last physical, log in to Family Access and under the "General Information" tab on the left, click on "health information." The "physical" tab will pop up. The "screening date" is the date of your student's last physical.
The link for the Athletic Handbook - /sites/default/files/users/u177/Athletic%20Handbook.pdf
Middle School Basketball and Volleyball
August 29, 2011
Revised November 8, 2011
Dear Parents and Guardians:
The middle school boys and girls basketball programs and the volleyball program will undergo a change this year as we integrate intramural “all play” with a “travel team” component. Also, participation in volleyball and basketball will be open to 6th graders, but on an intramural basis only, UNLESS the number of participants in the 7th grade is so low as to make fielding a competitive team not possible. The decision to move a 6th grader up will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
The purpose of this change is to allow for everyone who wishes to participate in basketball and volleyball the opportunity to play. Additionally, we will provide for those athletes who have worked to achieve a higher skill level (through camps, practice, Great Northwest, etc) the opportunity to compete against athletic teams outside their immediate peer group.
Seventh and eighth grade travel team participants will be selected on two main criteria:
1) Student and parent desire and willingness to commit to play at a higher level of competition; AND
2) An objective “skills assessment” conducted by high school coaching staff.
For basketball, up to 10 players from each grade will comprise the “travel team.” For volleyball, we will travel with up to 8 students from each grade level. Athletes not meeting the aforementioned criteria will participate in intramural games and matches to be held here at the middle school. A more detailed schedule will be forthcoming.
Each travel team will participate in approximately 8-10 contests total during the 6-week long season, traveling half the time and hosting the other half.
Skills Assessment and other items:
- Within the first 2-3 days of the season in each sport, athletes will be assessed on their individual skill level along with attitude, willingness to work hard, and “court sense.” These scores will be kept confidential.
- 8th graders not qualifying for the 8th grade travel team will not be placed on the 7th grade travel team, but rather will participate in the intramural program.
- A player may be removed from the travel team for failure to put forth effort, missing practices, poor attitude, failing grades, and behavior, etc. Others from the intramural program who have shown marked improvement throughout the course of the season may then be asked to join the travel team.
- The conditioning and “skills and drills” portion of daily practices will be held jointly between travel team participants and intramural participants. However, some separation will naturally take place as the teams have to practice together as a team.
- As a general practice 6th graders and 7th graders will not be allowed to “play up.”
- One coach will travel with 7th and 8th graders. There will not be one 7th grade travel team coach and one 8th grade travel team coach.
If you do NOT want your student to possibly participate in the travel team and would prefer instead the intramural program only for your son or daughter, please contact girls and boys head basketball coach Jason Janke or head volleyball coach Holly Smith at 284-5315. The “skills assessment” portion of the program may then be waived.